Holiday Car Fun

The holidays are upon us. Many of us will be traveling far and wide to visit loved ones. Whether you are traveling with children or friends from college, the ride doesn’t have to be boring or frustrating. There are always the typical travel games that you can buy at the store, but I have compiled a list of games that don’t require anything more than a creative imagination and a good sense of humor. Happy Travels!

Collective Stories
This game is a favorite of mine. Starting with the Co-Pilot (the person sitting to the right of the driver) say one sentence to start the story. Moving clockwise throughout the car, each person will add on one sentence where the player before them left off. Keep adding on sentences until a player ends the story. Experiment with different genres of stories (silly, scary, fairy tales, etc.)

Variation – instead of creating a whole story, create one sentence. Play the same way as above but instead each person adds on one word each turn. In this game, run-on sentences are your friend.

I’m going on a Picnic
This is a simple memorization game that can get a little crazy. The first player starts with the sentence “I’m going on a picnic and I am bringing ________” and fills in the blank. Be creative. Let’s start with strawberry jam. The next person then says “I’m going on a picnic and I am brining…” and lists in order what everyone else has shared and then adds their object. For example, the second person would say, “I’m going on a picnic and I am bringing strawberry jam and a hoagie.” The third person would say, “I’m going on a picnic and I am bringing strawberry jam, a hoagie, and a chair.” See how many objects you can remember. My friends and I got up to 19 objects on our last road trip. How many can you remember?

Two Truths and a Lie
One person says 3 statements about themselves. Two of them are true statements and one of the statements is a lie. The rest of the people in the car must guess what statement is the lie. Try your best to use statements that would stump even your closest friends.

Enjoy!
-Valerie (Image courtesy of Sugaredup)

Comments

Leisa Dreps said…
Simple and enjoyable. You can do a lot more than play video games and music in a road trip, after all. There are a lot of fun things to do with the family in the car.

Popular Posts